All About Candygirl!!

Welcome to my blog. I am trying to get a little more into my blog. I make you no promises about how regular I will blog. I hope you can have a laugh as you read about my life and some of my thoughts. I am originally from Australia, but live in the States. Love to have fun teaching elementary school, and catching up with family and friends.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Creative Cooking Treats

So I decided to try and cook a few new things... I realized that I have been cooking the same things over and over, cause they are easier and I am used to doing it. So a few weeks ago I started cooking new things.

First trial - Banoffee Pie... I volunteered to make a pie for Pi Day here. I wanted to make something new, something that the Americans haven't tried. Banoffee Pie here I come. I boiled 2 tins of Sweetened Condensed milk to turn it into to toffee. It didn't come out as think as I wanted, so I cooked it on the stove with some golden syrup. It turned it into a real nice toffee. I put some toffee in the bottom of the pie crust, layered with lots of sliced bananas, and then more toffee on top. I whipped some cream and then melted chocolate over the top of the pie. Success #1. It was amazing if I do say so myself, and so easy. Everyone loved it and so simple to create!

Trial Two - Chicken Alfredo...I got a recipe online that used cream cheese in the sauce. I thought I would use this as the basis for my sauce. I cooked the pasta and grilled a chicken breast that was seasoned with garlic and onion salt. The sauce was made by melting butter and then the cream cheese. Once I had that I added some garlic salt, and I was supposed to use milk to thin the sauce down. I was not sure if my milk was still good, so I used cream instead! Yes it is already a fat feast, but it was great. I thinned the sauce with cream and added some pepper and herbs. I mixed the sauce with the pasta and the cut up the chicken on top. Yum! Fat Fest? Most definitely. Unhealthy? I can still feel my arteries hardening. Worth it? For Sure.

Trial Three - Ben had the unhappy job of house painting tonight, so he missed the yummy dinner I made for my roomies. I cooked my own Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. I cooked some hot chips and made some nice side salads (good to have something healthy). Then I cooked onions and green capsicums. Once they had caramelized, I cooked some thin steak. I added garlic, salt, and pepper, and mixed it all together. Then I melted on top, cream cheese and white cheddar cheese. I put them into a fresh baguette.

I love that I am thinking of different things to cook. I have forgotten how much I enjoy cooking for people. Also it is really cathartic for me. It is the way that I release my artistic talents, I guess. So as I keep thinking of different things to cook, I will let you know how they all go.

3 comments:

  1. Master Chef I'm loving the menu, Malinda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the HECK!!!! YUM.MO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Malinda... Jasmine you are missing out, living up there. I am usually just trying to cook something new and fun for Ben!

    ReplyDelete